“The knowledge of each and every new age demands a new confession, and the planet appears generally waiting for its poet”
On Could 25th 1880 the effectively recognized Victorian spiritual philosopher Madame Blavatsky and New Age icon and Colonel Olcott, took the 3 refuges and the 5 precepts from a Buddhist priest in a temple in Galle, a town in Sri Lanka, ahead of a substantial crowd of Sri Lankan Buddhists. When they had completed the final of the Silas and supplied flowers in the customary way there was a mighty shout from the crowd.
Olcott and Blavatsky have been the founders of the Theosophical Society, 1 of the most critical influential religious movements of the late 19th Century and in this ceremony Olcott became the initially American and Blavatsky the initially European to formally to convert to Buddhism. Hence the twin legacies of Theosophy are the introduction of Buddhism to the West and the diverse set of beliefs and practices which are now knows as ‘the New Age’.
Buddhism and the New Age have been linked ever because that time, converging most triumphantly in the counter-culture of the 1960’s major to a close, entangled and ambiguous partnership involving British Buddhism and the New Age. This conjunction has led to well-liked perception of Buddhism as a aspect of the identical movement as New Age. There is also the assumption on the aspect of numerous ‘New Age’ adherents that Buddhism supports their outlook and in return the subtle influence of New Age concepts and practices on Buddhists’ understanding of their personal heritage.
Nonetheless Buddhism and the New Age are extremely distinct. Buddhism and New Age have emerged from extremely distinct roots and have travelled on somewhat distinct paths. More than the final 20 years British Buddhist groups and New Age activities have moved from closeness to a conscious differentiation, followed by a divergence of approaches. The initial closeness honed in of the counter-culture trends of the 1960s was to thrust each Buddhism and the New Age to prominence.
A period of separation occurred in the 1970s as Buddhists sought to establish their personal identity. But by the 1990s alienation from traditional religions, politics and the situations of customer capitalist society have generated renewed interest in each movements bringing them with each other when much more and in the final handful of years we have noticed a quantity of Buddhist initiatives in New Age venues.
“What we consider, we grow to be”
What is the New Age?
“Even truth requires to be clad in new garments if it is to appeal to a new age.”
The issues in defining what is New Age is at the extremely heart of its nature for there are no definitive set of beliefs or practices which are held in popular by every person to whom the term New Age might be applied. What are the distinguishing traits of New Age? What are the underlying attitudes and concepts of New Age practices?
Most writers date the emergence of a distinctive New Age tradition from the perform of the American Theosophist Alice Bailey (1880-1949).This new age tradition mixed with each other occultism, spiritualism and apocalyptic vision with the prevailing Zeitgeist.
Hence it may well be mentioned that The New Age is the item of mid-20th century America, becoming noticeable in the late sixties and much more pronounced because then as the New Age boomers grew up.
“Our deepest worry is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest worry is that we are strong beyond measure.”
“The state of your life is practically nothing much more than a reflection of your state of thoughts.”
Core Principles of New Age Philosophy and Commonalities involving New Age and Buddhism
- All life is the manifestation of Spirit, the Unknowable, of the supreme consciousness recognized by numerous distinct names in distinct cultures.
- The objective and dynamic of all religions is to bring Really like, Wisdom and Enlightenment to complete reality.
- All religions are manifestations of this identical inner reality.
- All life, as we perceive it with the 5 human senses is only the outer veil of an inner, causal reality.
- Human beings are two-fold beings with an outer short-term character and a multi-dimensional inner becoming.
- The outer character is restricted in scope and trends towards materialism.
- The inner character is seemingly limitless and trends towards enjoy.
- Our spiritual teachers are these beings who have liberated themselves from the need to have to incarnate and can express unconditional enjoy, wisdom and Enlightenment. Some of these humans are effectively-recognized and have inspired the planet religions. Some are unknown and perform unseen.
- All life in all its distinct existences are interconnected power-and this involves our actions feelings and thoughts.
- While our existence is held in the dynamic of cosmic enjoy, we are jointly accountable for the state of ourselves, and of our atmosphere and of all life on the planet.
Through this period of time the evolution of our planet and human sort has reached a point when we are undergoing a basic spiritual alter in our person and mass consciousness. This is why we speak of a ‘New Age”.
“This is my very simple religion. There is no need to have for temples no need to have for complex philosophy. Our personal brain, our personal heart is our temple the philosophy is kindness.”